It’s the time of the year when we are reviewing our lives including the work we do. If you are feeling unfulfilled and wanting to live a life of greater meaning, the following eleven questions will help.
If you are a coach working with clients, these SQ ( spiritually intelligent) questions will help elicit deeper answers from your coachees.
As Deepak Chopra says, “Everyone has a purpose in life…. a unique gift or special talent to give others. And when we blend this unique talent with service to others, we experience the ecstasy and exultation of our own spirit, which is the ultimate goal of all goals.”
1) What is a yearning in your being that you may not have shared with many people?
2) Is there a “small voice” which pops up from time to time which you disregard? How could you nurture this more?
3) What is something that you may have forgotten that could serve you well in your path of growth and evolution?
4) Given Gandhi’s quote about being the change you wish to see, what is this for you? How could you embody this more in your being – work, coaching, business, and relationships?
5) If you were to live your life more as your message, what might be something different in your doing or being today?
6) What is the place of faith and trust that you will be guided and led to what your life purpose is, if you keep playing your part?
7) How comfortable are you at holding the question, in the face of not having answers at the time?
8) What would you need to know in order for you to always be your best?
9) What is the current story of your life? What might be an emerging story taking you more towards creating your preferred future?
10) What might you do to move yourself just one step forward?
11) Ask yourself, “What is my ultimate goal (Deepak Chopra’s quote above) and how am I creating this today?
A few other tips if you are a coach working with others in this area:
- You may listen out for what is not being said and feed this back to your coachee so it helps them further in their explorations
- You may tune in to and feel the energy of what they are saying and feed this back to your coachee
- From what your coachee has shared so far, you could imagine what they might look like in the future and feed this back to them
- You could lead them (after getting them in a relaxed state) into imagining a scenario where someone has given them a gift, which represents their life purpose. Get them to share and coach them in understanding what this gift may be.
Jasbindar Singh is a coaching psychologist, author and speaker. For more ideas on finding career and life direction and fulfillment, check out “Get your groove back” – how spiritual intelligence (SQ) can give you the work and life you really want. There is also a workbook version available as either hard or e-copy.